Author Topic: Submission Guidelines  (Read 4309 times)

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
Submission Guidelines
« on: September 05, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »
I've been looking into submitting one or two pieces of my poetry and have found that many magazines will not consider accepting anything that has appeared online.   

"Does (insert magazine name here) accept previously published material?

No. We cannot consider anything that has been previously published or accepted for publication, anywhere, in any form. Work that has appeared online is considered to have been previously published and should not be submitted."

If I remove the poetry I am considering from the two forums I belong to, is there a certain amount of time I can wait to make my work eligible again or am I sunk? Not that I would choose to be dishonest but how would a magazine know if I removed my content?
Or, could I alter my work to renew it, so to speak?

Thanks for your feedback.

~Deb
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 02:16:42 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

rewh2oman

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Submission Guidlines
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 11:15:15 PM »
IMHO

Personally, I wouldn't think that posting your poem to be critiqued on a forum would be considered as being published.

I'd delete them from the forum (to be safe) and submit them to the magazine.

Perhaps others have another POV.

hillwalker3000

• Kudos: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 09:46:09 AM »
I would think if it's posted online in a members-only forum for peer review it's not yet been 'published' (for wider public consumption).
The only problem arises when it's posted in a gallery which is open for anyone to read - including those who might take it upon themselves to copy and paste online to a wider audience.
Personally, I would never post anything I'm hoping to publish/self-publish in future unless the original version is noticeably different from the final version.
Good luck.

H3K

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 01:46:30 AM »
Thank you, Russ and Hilly, for your input. I am taking your advice and removing the items I plan to submit.

I appreciate and value your feedback and will let you know if anything pans out.

I have a bunch of other questions but, ugh.

In my next post, "How to overcome the Submission Blues."

All the best,

~Deb

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

WordBird

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Submission Guidelines
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 01:45:07 PM »
Hi Deb,

My take on their response is that they considered online forums the same as published, even though we all agree this isn't the "technical" definition of being published.  It sounds to me like they strive to be the first to see something exclusively.

You can delete your posts in question and give it a shot.  Just keep in mind that deleting something doesn't ever really take it off the internet.  There are search programs that will dig up stuff that you thought was long gone, long ago.  If they have a hard lined approach on the issue, they may utilize something like that to screen submissions.  If they did find something, they could simply say they won't accept it. 
Follow along my journey as I create a newsletter titled Motivation for Life. Just message me “I’m in” and I'll add you.

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 07:42:45 AM »
Thanks, Birdy. :) That's kind of what my husband said, "What's the worst they can do, turn you down?"

Now I'm working on and off at the other details of submissions, like my bio. It sounds blah and amateurish because I am an amateur.  :-\ So, I work on it, leave it for a week, come back to it and toss the whole thing in disgust.

Then there's the whole, writing sample conundrum. I have four subpar offerings on Really Good Quotes and wrote a few articles for our local, small-town newspaper, and they're nothing to brag about. All of those articles, including the one decent article I wrote, are credited to the newspaper staff. Should I list anything I've written on MWC for the challenges or things I've included in the Tangled Branch? I ruined my, Station Shorts story by adding unnecessary names so my kids and their friends would get a kick out of being in a book. I don't think any of that stuff qualifies as something I want a publisher to judge me by so I'm at a loss.

I'm not usually negative but how do you get published if magazine editors want to see previously published work when no one wants to publish the unpublished writer? Ugh. I just need to send the damn thing and let the chips fall where they may. I keep hearing how every writer can wallpaper entire houses with rejection letters so I need to stop being a wimp.

Every time I have ever submitted anything, I get that buyer's remorse feeling. I'll find some stupid thing I overlooked or should have written better, or worse, some atrocious sentence.  :o See what I did there?   :P

My bio and limited array of published items are lackluster and my blog is lame. I don't think I should include my blog as a writing example because I've only added a handful of items over the years and I've been hopelessly inconsistent. Yadda, yadda, yadda . . .

Words of wisdom, anyone?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:03:17 AM by DGSquared »

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 08:05:46 AM »
The good news? I finally figured out how to upload something here from my laptop and it is ridiculously simple. It's something I knew and had forgotten and overlooked. Blonde to the bone.  ::)

Blondesplosion! ~Deb