Author Topic: Weird but fun  (Read 9011 times)

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
Weird but fun
« on: August 14, 2019, 02:22:02 PM »
So I ordered "The Writer's Toolbox" by Jamie Cat Callan the other day, and it was delivered today. Of course I couldn't wait and had to try it out immediately and this is the story it generated. That is, it gave me some nudges: a First Sentence, a Non-Sequitur, a Last Straw, and then three Sixth-Sense cards. I wrote on each one of them for three minutes and wrote maybe the weirdest thing I've ever written.  ;D

I put tulips under all the pillows, and then I set fire to the house. I still don't know why I did it. It was just one of those things. You do it, because something compels you, something bigger than you. Of course, I've always been intrigued by flames. That may have had something to do with it. Or not. Who can tell?

Anyway. I ran out of the house, down the garden path and then walked around to the front. Leisurely, so no-one would take notice.

On Tuesday, she asked me the most peculiar question. Nel. The pretty brunette with the large blue eyes. Maybe that's what got this whole thing going. She said, “But what if the house burned down?” Yes, what indeed. I couldn't stop thinking about it. And then, when I saw those tulip bulbs, this silly idea popped into my head. Would they make good fire starters? So I took them. And walked around with them for several days. Until today.

Mr. Pelotti stepped outside and looked at the house. The way he writes with both his left and right hands made me cringe. Didn't know why I thought about that just now. He wasn't even writing. But now I wanted to pick a fight with him. Was that because of his writing habit, or because he was just weird and I didn't want him to be the first one to discover my fireworks?

I wanted Nel to come out and see what I'd done. I wanted to see the flames reflected in her eyes. I wanted to hear her sweet voice when she squealed, “Oooooh, that house is on fire!” But Nel was nowhere to be seen, and that weird Pelotti was just standing there. Rubbing his hands together.

A ripe apple fell off the tree on the opposite side of the road. I went to pick it up and smelled it. Fresh, a little tangy- and it mingled with a faint smell of smoke. I grew excited. My fire was catching. It had to be, even though I couldn't see it yet. The smell was there. All I had to do was wait around, unobtrusively, and I'd see my handiwork come to life.

I was already looking forward to seeing the flames springing forth from the roof. Colouring the sky red. And the smoke. Blackening everything. I imagined it would be akin to the taste of Woody Allen's kiss. Ha! Not that I'd ever kissed him or anything, but it's how I imagined his kiss would taste like. Like ashes.

Those ash trays in a dark pub. Way back, when public smoking was still perfectly acceptable. When you sat too close to one of those ash trays, you could practically taste them. It was gross. Like those charred ends of meat on a barbecue, that you ate because you didn't want to be seen as a baby, but you really wanted to puke your guts out.

The smokey scent was quite noticeable. Like the smell of Susie's leftovers, only far better. Because that was a sour smell. Sometimes tinged with mould. But this, this was a heady, intoxicating smell. It made my head swim. I stepped up closer to the house, and could see the flames playing a game inside. They were like phantoms, chasing one another. Dancing, jumping, running. I knew they were having fun. I could feel it. The soul of the fire, it was burning inside of me.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:26:37 PM by Dansinger »
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
Join my facebook group Daan's Magical Worlds

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
Re: Weird but fun
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 08:58:27 PM »
Dan, I absolutely love that Woody Allen's kisses would taste like ashes.

Interesting read. We already know you have a good sense of humor and it shows here but I really like how your character sort of glows with a subtle bit of eager psychosis, which then becomes full-blown. If that makes sense.  ;D

Is this the formula? I haven't read the book so I haven't a clue.

First Sentence, a Non-Sequitur, a Last Straw, and then three Sixth-Sense cards.

I wrote on each one of them for three minutes and wrote maybe the weirdest thing I've ever written.  ;D

I also enjoyed your eagerness to go for it.

Would you consider starting a thread where we all follow a formula like this? We can make up our own so as not to stir up any copyright infringements.

~Deb

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:00:25 PM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 03:26:43 PM »
Thanks Deb. That is the formula indeed.

Yes, I also toyed with the idea of making a thread in which we would follow this formula, and just write already. Just for the heck of it.

Maybe a thread where someone posts the first sentence, then hands over the pen/keyboard to the second person who writes a paragraph in just five minutes (and no cheating!), then posts the non-sequitur. Then the next person writes a paragraph and posts the last straw. And so on and so forth.

Do you think it would work?
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
Join my facebook group Daan's Magical Worlds

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 09:05:59 PM »
We'll never know if we don't try. I'll play along. Sounds like fun to me. :)
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb