Author Topic: Who'd have thought it?  (Read 123 times)

Dwin7454

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
Who'd have thought it?
« on: July 30, 2019, 01:51:57 PM »
It started in the middle of the night, three in the morning to be precise. My body shaking and trembling so hard my teeth were chattering. Considering that the air conditioning was turned off and the room temperature was somewhere in the lower thirties (Centigrade not Fahrenheit) this was rather worrying. Within thirty minutes it was all change, rivers of sweat rolling down my body, my tee shirt, underpants and the bed sheets were wringing wet.

People argue over which gender can withstand the most pain but surely the prize for kidding yourself must go to the male living by himself? ‘It will pass, there’s no need to see a doctor, you’ll only be making a fool of yourself’. The mind is great for justifying your actions, even in the face of common-sense.

After suffering through this for five days, going to work and meeting the boys in the bar for drinks, you’ve convinced yourself you’ve got ‘man flu’. Then the wife arrives back from her home in China and the first night you are back together she is so scared by your shaking and teeth rattling you promise to go to the clinic the next day.

So, with a feeling of embarrassment, that you are ‘crying wolf’, you go along to a local clinic, with an Arab friend who has now been roped in by the wife to ‘help’ me. By this time, I was feeling drained and dog tired, which I put down to the interrupted sleep patterns, so I went meekly to the ‘slaughter’ so to speak. After routine physical checks and blood tests I’m sent along for a chest x-ray.

The upshot? I was put on a drip, received two injections in my rear end and given enough antibiotics to kill a horse, then told to come back every day for the next four days for intravenous antibiotic drips. My ‘man flu’ turned out to be Pneumonia with severe bronchitis; this silly old b*****d still isn’t back to normal after four weeks.  Turns out it can take a while to regain your strength and stamina especially when as your doctor says “you’re not twenty five anymore” and “listen to your body”.

Gyppo

• Kudos: 26
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Re: Who'd have thought it?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »
I've never had it as bad as you obviously had, but I've had a couple of brushes with what Gran used to call 'The Brown Carthorse', (You'll feel as if stamped all over you), with early stages of pneumonia.  It's a bugger to shake off and definitely takes its own sweet time about leaving.

Lung infections really strike at the centre of your well-being, because most of the time we take simply breathing for granted.  You can arrange damaged limbs or joints into 'the least uncomfortable position' but your lungs are on call 24/7 ;-(

Get well, but don't plan on running any Marathons in the next few weeks ;-)

Gyppo

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 05:54:08 PM »
Glad to hear you are on your way to recovery. Thank goodness your wife came home when she did or you may not have been around to write this post and we would have missed you, D.   :-*

I hope you recuperate quickly. After you feel restored enough to do so, be sure you get some exercise to get a decent flow of oxygen through your body. Take a nice walk, daily.

You men are nearly impossible when it comes to taking good care of your health. If nothing else, those of you with children, especially those with sons, should set a good example and pay more attention to your health. I'm pretty sure the male propensity to push on no matter what, comes from that need to provide, but you fellas can't do that if you're dead, now can you? 

Maybe the male tendency to avoid doctors and 'suck it up' as we say here in the states, has something to do with the statistics on women outliving men. I'm just guessing.

This reads like a scolding but I assure you it is not - just me putting thoughts down. I'm sending you good thoughts and wishing you well. 

~Deb ;) :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:02:33 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Dwin7454

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 07:26:09 AM »
Cheers Guys,

appreciate the replies and yes I'm improving daily but I'm still not up to my 'early morning walks'. 8)

Dansinger

• Kudos: 8
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • EDS Diaries - Enjoying life with Ehlers-Danlos
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 06:50:20 PM »
Blimey! You take stupid to a whole different level. Could've been dead, you dolt!

I hope you're well, or at least a lot better now. Take care!
EDS Diaries - Enjoying life with Ehlers-Danlos
Work those fingers: write 250+ words a day
Write one poem a week

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 06:24:20 AM »
Had that once, got the lung scars to prove it, don't want it again

Make sure you have the pneumonia vacc when you feel well enough mate