Author Topic: You know you're a writer when...  (Read 10043 times)

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
You know you're a writer when...
« on: July 06, 2019, 09:44:41 AM »
... You buy toys for your dog, and anything with a face gets a name!  I quite startled the receptionist at the vet's yesterday.  You'd think she'd never met a triceratops called Daphne before.

Any other clues that suggest you're a writer?

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 36
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Re: You know you're a writer when...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 09:52:06 AM »
When even unwanted/unpleasant things happening to you become seen, or perhaps rationalised, as 'a research opportunity.'
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:01:47 AM by Gyppo »

Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 01:31:32 PM »
How about whenever you see an overstuffed leaf bag out for collection on garbage day you imagine a body, whodunnit, and the crusty old detective who will bring them to justice. Anything, anywhere, becomes fodder for a story.
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Tallulah Bankhead

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 03:46:17 PM »
Absolutely, Laura!  It's an occupational hazard, tripping over imaginary crime scenes.

As for Gyppo's research opportunities, what's even worse is when you treat someone else's disasters as grist to your mill.  You know the kind of thing: "You were run over by a hoodie on a moped, who snatched your handbag and left you bleeding in the High Street?  How terrible.  Do tell me all about it..."

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 36
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
Isn't that the difference between writers and journalists, Jo?  ;-)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 12:03:23 PM »
 ... the stories in your head are better than the stories in the world. At least in my head, I have total control.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Dwin7454

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 01:12:26 PM »
How, Where, When, why are seared into your brain and your still as curious as the proverbial cat at 65.

miguelribeiro

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 07:26:57 AM »
Hello Guys.

Writers need a particular subject and easy for writing briefly. As i know that there are many professional authors in the world. They have written books. Miguel Ribeiro is one of them and wrote “Beyond Darwin, the Program Hypothesis”,a view of the emergence and evolution of life consistent with the universe as information.The book encompasses many viral topics regarding the universe and life that readers will surely love. It is available online.

WordBird

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 01:29:04 PM »
Even us non-fiction writers have similar clues.  For years I had a special daily planner that I kept on my desk at work.  Bone-headed decision, failed meeting, demotivating statements - they all made it to my notebook for future reference.  I still have that notebook somewhere here.  I've looked back on it and thought, "Surely more things happened than this!" So I must not have been completely dedicated it (or maybe just too busy to think about it).

I also kept several hundred student papers from business classes. You know the kind: Choose a topic then write 5 - 7 pages applying it to your own workplace or somewhere you've worked in the past.  These are by far some of the worst papers ever written. But I keep them in hopes of finding some good prompts.  Of course I could never just use their material.  But I am 100% positive that there are a lot of ideas floating around those pages.

Motivation for Life