Author Topic: Nameless Characters.  (Read 10841 times)

Gyppo

• Kudos: 26
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Nameless Characters.
« on: May 12, 2019, 12:33:43 AM »
My characters usually arrive with a name.  Sometimes the first stirring in my mind is a stray name, followed by a character.  They usually introduce themselves pretty quickly and tell me what kind of story they have in mind.  Very rarely do I change that initial name, although sometimes a Jimmy may become James if he needs a more formal name as the story develops.  Some characters just don't like diminutive nicknames.

I remember hearing Frances's voice in my head, very distinctly.  "I am neither Fran, Franny, or Francesca.  My names is Frances.  It's not difficult, it's only two syllables.  Please get it right."

But...

My daughter tells me her characters and names usually arrive together but she has one 'problem child' at the moment.  She knows where the story's going, the female lead is fully rounded with name and character.  But the male is being a pain.  She can see him in full colour and knows what makes him tick.

But he won't tell her his name.

Has anyone else had this problem.?  If so how did you solve it?

I've suggested she calls him Dickhead, on the grounds that this will annoy him enough to make him correct her.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 8
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • EDS Diaries - Enjoying life with Ehlers-Danlos
Re: Nameless Characters.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:32:38 AM »
I often have characters without a name. It doesn't bother me. If need be, I'll use a placeholder, which may stick if they decide to never tell me their name at all. If it's not important enough to them to tell me their name, then I don't see why I should go through the trouble of finding out what their name is. They can play games with others if they like. But I won't play. They'll be John, Dick and Harry for all I care.
EDS Diaries - Enjoying life with Ehlers-Danlos
Work those fingers: write 250+ words a day
Write one poem a week

Gyppo

• Kudos: 26
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 09:22:59 PM »
I think this is the first time she's had a character who didn't introduce themselves.  She's somewhat affronted by his bad manners ;-)

Dansinger

• Kudos: 8
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • EDS Diaries - Enjoying life with Ehlers-Danlos
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 10:14:34 PM »
She shouldn't let him get to her. If he's being a jerk to her, then I don't see why she can't be just as ill-behaved towards him. Just tell her that. I treat my characters how they deserve to be treated. Only worse. A lot worse, at times, but that's because their lives just suck. After all, I'm not God, am I? I'm just the poor sod having to tell their stories.  ;)
EDS Diaries - Enjoying life with Ehlers-Danlos
Work those fingers: write 250+ words a day
Write one poem a week